Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Thought That My Inbox Counts

Thanksgiving is my 2nd favorite holiday because it means a whole chunk of quality family time. This year that meant time with somebody else's fantastic family, and it was a wonderfully relaxing day. I know my own family's busy doing their thang today, too, so we'll probably save our catching up until tomorrow.

Here's the thing about holidays. Everyone likes to acknowledge them, and now that includes Facebook statuses and even text messages.

Ahhh, the text messages.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of being thought of by friends on holidays, but do I really need to get a million text messages with holiday wishes? Not so much. The thought's appreciated, but the beeping phone is not. Not on a relaxing day with the family.

The solution this year was easy: leave my phone in the bedroom all day. I should do that more often.

~"Think of me, think of me fondly..." ["Think of Me" - The Phantom of the Opera]~

1 comment:

Alisha said...

I was distracted by the text messages too. I don't mind them, but doesn't it just feel a little insincere to take a couple phrases and blast them to everyone in your contacts. Also with twitter, facebook, and other means of instant communication I feel pressure to keep up with everyone which leaves no time to focus on the people right in front of you. Yes you talk to a lot of friend but who do you really spend time with? The people you are with or the status updates and text conversations?