Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's On??

I can't back down from a challenge.

...or can I?

A few friends are starting to participate in a 365-day challenge to blog every day.

Yes, that's right.

Every. Day.

I've heard of people doing this before...but with photography. I was also intrigued by that, but I didn't do anything with it.

I have been itching to get to write more again.

I also have heard some very encouraging things about my writing recently (which, of course, is hard to accept).

It's crazy, but I like crazy ideas. Some of the best memories and such come from crazy ideas, in fact.

Sorry, Shakespeare. Your age-old question's out. The question is now, "To blog challenge, or not to blog challenge?"

Here are some reasons I can think of to say no:

  • I'm forgetful sometimes. And lazy. Sometimes, when I'm feeling really ambitious, I'm both at the same time.
  • I never feel like my writing holds a candle to anyone else's. I know a lot of gifted writers.
  • I have this deep urge to write something that makes a difference, something that really matters to people. It goes hand-in-hand with a selfish desire for my blog to be a "must-read" that just circles back to the previous point.
  • A year seems like a terribly long time.

And yet...here are the rebuttals:

  • No standards. No restrictions. Complete freedom. It's as simple or complex as I make it.
  • So what if my writing's not up to par with somebody else's? The point of writing isn't to be better than the next guy. Was an idea communicated? Oh, good. Then the goal was accomplished.
  • Who cares what other people think?

"You never know 'til you try," right?

I already have an idea for a post for tomorrow.

...I might be getting sucked in already.

~"Adventure is worthwhile." [Amelia Earhart...one of my childhood heroes]~


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aahahaha I'm so excited!
I'm adding you to my challenge page, as a way to applaud your bravery and the beginnings of an attempt.

Can't wait to keep reading,
even if it doesn't end up being every day.


(How better to start something than with Amelia Earhart? Such inspiration...)

Michelle said...

Thanks!

I think I'm with Ben on this one -- I'll do it, but possibly not every day.

But I'm in. :)

And there are plenty more inspiring quotes for us where that came from! (No, really, I found a whole page of them online. :P)

Thank you for the challenge- having the guts to take it on yourself and passing it on and encouraging us to join you. I'm excited, too.

Alisha said...

So it starts today then? Or is there an official date? I feel tempted to join, but at the same time realize that I don't even make my bad every day of the year (I mean what kid wakes up on christmas morning and makes her bed before running to the stuffed stockings and shinning Christmas tree. Oh, wait I am not a kid anymore. This could change a few things) Anyways, it sounds like another responsibility but what fun, to have to write everyday.

Oh, and here is my quote:
"Let's get down to business..." -Mulan

Alisha said...

By the way, off to a great mistyping start by replacing bed with bad. Think of all the other errors I will most likely make...