Friday, December 3, 2010

Facebook Flint

On Facebook right now there's a movement to change profile pictures to a cartoon character you enjoyed as a child. The point is to make a statement against child abuse.

My first reaction: But what is changing a picture really going to do? And I refused to do it.

Then I got to thinking about it.

How much do we enjoy getting wrapped in the nostalgia of things we loved as children? I have never known anyone to pass up smiling and laughing as we rehash shows that were popular in our younger days.

This morning I got to watch the pride on my preschoolers' faces as we wrapped up our time there with a train party. We invited the parents to join us, and a lot of moms and siblings came. We got to read some train stories together, make a special train snack (graham crackers, mini-Oreos, licorice, frosting, and M&Ms. I really hope none of them have thrown up), and they got to perform 2 songs as a grand finale. They were so proud of what they had learned and that they got to have their moms and siblings there.

And it was really something to watch the moms as they were snapping pictures, helping make the trains with all of their kids, clapping after the songs, and looking on with pride.

Not every child has that chance. Some parents honestly don't care. Some parents only care enough to instill hurt in their child.

My heart breaks for those children who don't get to be proud of their work with their parents, who only get hurt when they should be getting loved. My heart breaks for the children who fear their own parents.

Children are miraculous, curious, loving creatures. Their joy is contagious. Their enthusiasm for EVERYthing, big or small, is awesome.

No child should be punished for existing. They deserve to be loved. They should be free to enjoy their childhood, to have pride in what they do, to play, and to be carefree.

What can changing a picture do? In the larger picture, maybe it can't do much because it's really not doing much. It can, however, be a spark. It gets people thinking about what childhood should be, about what children should not have to go through. And maybe, just maybe, it gets people thinking about what they can do -- beyond simply clicking a few links and buttons on a mouse -- to make a difference.

Facebook is the flint, and the message in the pictures is the spark. That potential is enough for me.


~"A mighty flame followeth a tiny spark." [-Dante Aligheiri]~


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so right, Michelle - when we see children/students every day, when we see the potential for a good childhood or ruined ones crumbling in front of our eyes (there's a lot of that at a Lincoln public high school) it's easy to say both "what will this little thing do? What can I do?" and "I'm ready to do EVERYTHING for these young people!!"

I appreciate your reminder.

Lisa Smith said...

You appeared in Nora's class, a prayer answered from a mom and her girl for a little extra help adjusting to the 2 hours apart. Nora knows she can go to you for help, Michelle. She loves you, and so do I.

Can you come over and recreate the train party? I will by the materials (though I might not eat them). :)

Michelle said...

Teagan, I think that opportunity we have to see these children every day in our classrooms is such a gift. I think that also gives us the chance to do more than we realize.

Lisa, I'm so happy I could help both you and Nora -- two of the most beautiful people I've gotten to meet out here! I would LOVE to recreate the train party for you and Nora! And don't worry, there were plenty of leftover train snack supplies. Thanks for helping me solve what to do with it. :)