Saturday, December 4, 2010

Love-ly Aspirations

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. [I Cor. 13:4-7]



i wish i could love like this.

2 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

Even just making the wish says something, Michelle. I get so caught up in the "I wish someone would love me like this" that I forget that it has to start with me and the giving.

Love is complex. It's everything. How beautiful to have a whole life to try to understand it.

Michelle said...

We certainly do need that lifetime to understand it, that's for sure.

And I think that it's easy to get too caught up in this on either end of the spectrum, either the giving or receiving (although, yes, all too often I find myself wishing for the latter,too).

Perhaps the real trick is in finding the balance. Just as it's not good to be selfish, we are not solitary creatures, either. We need to love, but we also need to BE loved.

Thank goodness God always is there to do the loving for us and to be that perfect example. How sad that it can be so easy to overlook.

You nailed it: it's complex.