Day 4: Share a video you are loving at the moment.
Oh my goodness, I HAVE to post more than one.
These just make me laugh so much.
You should probably put your drink down now so it doesn't come out your nose, especially for #2.
Day 5: What do you miss?
It's hard to believe I'm getting ready for my 4th year of teaching, but whoa, here we are. I'm so thankful to be doing something I love as a career even though it gets pretty crazy sometimes trying to balance all the roles a teacher takes on AND trying to have a life outside of school. I'm beyond thankful to be working in a job where I get to talk about Jesus each and every day with my coworkers and my students. It's awesome, and it makes even the "bad" days ones I can be thankful for.
And you know what else is awesome? Our little family. I love getting to take care of my sweet husband and our two dogs, and I am so blessed by the ways they love me each day. I love that we've taken this house and turned it into a home as we've worked to put our own touch on it and fill it with memories. It's pretty awesome to have a roommate who is also your best friend and love of your life...and knowing you're stuck with each other for good. :)
One thing that I do really miss, though, is the sense of belonging that I used to have. Being with my family often was comforting. And you know those good friends you had in high school and college, the ones you could just be yourself with? Things could get real without getting weird.
I'm talking laughing 'til you cry over nothing that makes sense to other people, deep conversations about life, advice and hugs to get you through the tough times, and brutal honesty.
I'm talking fighting like siblings and being so mad that you are in disbelief over how much anger is flowing through you but apologizing and being closer for it in the end.
I'm talking the people you could call up because you want to go shopping but you don't want to go alone and you need an honest opinion about how your butt and thighs look in those skinny jeans before you make a choice you'll regret.
I'm talking the ones you can whine to when you know you're being a baby about something but you just have to be frustrated about something anyways for a while, but later you know they will tell you that you need to get over it.
I'm talking the ones who can point out your flaws or your wrongs without you getting mad because you know they mean it with genuine love.
I'm talking the ones you could watch movies, play board games, and cook homemade pizza with.
I'm talking the ones who could admit you're afraid to when you're at a point where you have to act like you've got it all together but have no clue how to act like an adult at the moment.
I'm talking about the ones who wouldn't blink twice if you invited them over for dinner before realizing you really don't have much in the house to cook and you haven't put on any make up on and you are wearing the comfy hoodie that goes down to your knees.
I'm talking the ones who are your family outside of your family.
We've made some friends since moving here with the neighbors across the street and with my coworkers, and I know we'll make more as we get more involved at church and even in doing some volunteering in town. It all comes in time, but change is hard. Starting over is hard. Comfort comes in time with familiarity, and we are getting there.
I'm thankful for the technology like blogging, Skype/FaceTime, and Facebook that make keeping in touch with our family and friends MUCH easier than it used to be. I don't know that I would have been able to do all of these things since graduation without it.
No comments:
Post a Comment