Thursday, September 9, 2010

Love a Good Joke, Not a Crazy Class

Today was not the best day of student teaching to date, but it was perhaps one of the most valuable. Isn't it funny how the things we dislike the most often are the things we learn the most from?

It was a busy day of running out of time for things, preparing for running the classroom with a sub while my co-op is gone for 2 days, and learning all about classroom management. I was pretty much in charge most of the day.

Anarchy took over. 


You laugh, but it sure felt that way. The kids didn't want to listen. We didn't get to play the review game I planned, and they didn't listen to the "quiet" part of "quiet homework time" that we had instead. I had an hour and 10 minutes with 27 kids who didn't want to listen to me at all. I even had one of the girls say, "She doesn't even like us." It was so frustrating.

At the end of the day, I had a chat with them about how tomorrow is going to go. And after today, I'm not afraid to be firm with them because days like this just can't keep happening. Tough love, baby.

But, as always, there were some good things to take away from the day. I got some great information, advice, and encouragement from my co-op today. I needed that. I got to have coffee with a friend and catch up for a bit. I got some stuff done for FYS. I was fortunate enough to get to vent to a few fellow student teachers. It was not a bad day overall.

I'm definitely ready for the weekend, though.

My favorite part of the day was a conversation with my class, and it's the quote I will close with.

Me: Okay, guys. We talked about independent clauses and dependent clauses, and I briefly mentioned what a regular clause is the other day. Does anyone remember what that was?

One of the funny guys: A relative of Santa Claus.

Me: False. But good try.

1 comment:

Laura Ahlgren said...

These days are sure to come up once in a while, but I'm sure you're able to handle it! You just gotta remind them that you are the teacher, and they are the students... so there!

Keep your head up chica!

much love! ~L's