Sunday, September 12, 2010

Back to the Platte.

I love weekends on a normal basis, but my appreciation for them really goes up after a few less-than-stellar days in the classroom. I'm hoping this upcoming week holds some better days.

Friday was fantastic. The drive to Omaha while rediscovering how great the Newsboys are was therapeutic. Hanging out with Joel was even more so. Great homemade pizza and a beer never hurts, either, mind you.

Saturday was an eventful day. Let me encourage you to resist the urge to leave Omaha on a Husker game day at the same time the entire rest of the population of Omaha is leaving to get to the game. If you know anything about Husker football, you know that I'm only partially exaggerating about that number. If you choose to ignore this warning, at least make sure you factor in an extra 45 minutes to make it anywhere. That drive on the back roads, though, was fantastic. It was like a taste of driving at home. I loved it. What can I say? Driving on back roads with the windows down and great music is one of my guilty pleasures in life.

Made it back out to Platte River State Park on Saturday with a group of friends for a cookout. It was about a week of planning, and it was amazing. We collaborated on food/supplies, and so we had a lot of great food. We also explored. We climbed an 84 ft observation tower for an amazing view of NE scenery and the river itself, a high point for a Midwest-lovin' girl like me. We also got to explore a tee-pi, a cut out of a buffalo, and a trail. Capped off that great Saturday with a movie and a beer with a friend.

I've come to the conclusion that my life will not be complete without getting to experience camping in a tee-pi. Who's with me??

~"You know you're a phlobotomist when you can look at someone and say, 'Yeah, I could tap that.'" [-Part of our cookout conversation...and future t-shirt.]~

No comments: