Wednesday, October 12, 2011

On Voicelessness

I started losing my voice yesterday. A sore throat literally came outta nowhere, and then my voice started to go. "What the what?" I thought to myself.

I went through my typical 5 stages that come along with a bodily ailment:

1) Denial -- "No, no. I'm not really getting a sore throat, I just think I'm getting one. I'm just talking too much. I'm just not going to think about it, and it will go away."

2) Anger -- "Ugh, I'm seriously not getting sick again. I was just sick, what, a week and a half ago? Man, I know they said first year teachers get sick a lot, but come on, body. Get your act together. I cannot pencil in any illness until next weekend."

3) Bargaining -- "Okay, if I just talk at lower volumes as much as possible, drink lots of water and tea tonight, and don't talk at all after 3:15, will you please come back, voice? I'll never take you for granted again if you just come back now. Please?"

4) Depression -- "My body's just never going to be healthy at all until May." *Long, drawn-out, pathetic sigh* "What was it like to feel healthy? Oh, those were the days. Le sigh."

5) Acceptance -- "Alright, so my throat hurts. And I can't sing. Or talk as much. Meh. At least I don't have a fever. It could be worse."

I whined to my aide for a little bit about it, talking about how much it would stink to not have a voice this weekend especially. I keep telling people I pretty much sound like a man right now. She was quick to encourage me, though, saying, "You are a groomsmaid. You can just tell people you are just really trying to play the part." I laughed so hard that I kind of sounded like a mix of a donkey and a seal.

Uh oh, my computer's about to restart for an update.
Another quoteless night. :(

No comments: