Monday, October 3, 2011

Musings on Motivation

Last night I was rereading a bunch of helpful things I got from a conference about this time last year, hoping to come across either a great devo or inspiration for one since I'm leading staff devos this week.

[True story: I get a little nervous working with kids. I get super-nervous working with adults.]

I rediscovered a lot of great material, and much of it happened to be the very reminders I need right now to calm my nervous, worrying self.

One of the best reminders: "You will never have a sense of completeness in your work."

So. True. But here I was worrying (on top of worrying) about that feeling. I thought that I was stressing out too much but didn't know how to stop. Turns out I'm normal. Whew.

But wait a second...how true is that just in life? How often do we feel like we should/could do more with areas of our lives?

And that feeling of completeness I'm sure isn't completely absent. [I say this thinking back to just a few short weeks ago when I felt the ending of an era as I printed my teaching license and then sought the perfect spot to display that blood-sweet-and-tears-and-student-loans-bought diploma.] But I had to wonder if it's not in some way dangerous not to feel incompleteness sometimes. Maybe it's that feeling of never being done that really is the reason we do more to begin with.

Without it it'd be too easy to fall into the complacent trap of comfort. Never growing. Never doing. Just being.

I'd rather never be "done."

~"Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire." [-Arnold H. Glasow]~

1 comment:

Lisa Smith said...

This is comforting to read. Thank you, Michelle.