Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Why I Love Preschool

The look on the preschool boy's face when I told him I'd never seen a snake hole before. It was a mixture of amazement and horror, like he couldn't tell if I was lying and didn't know how it was possible for somebody to have never witnessed something so cool.

Watching a group of my preschoolers make "the biggest birthday cake ever" out of leaves and pine needles. It was so big that when they told me one of the girls was inside, I believed them and was about to look through it...until I turned around and saw her on the other end of the playground.

Practicing how to write 6s:
Me, after noticing a little boy could use a little more practice: "Would you like to flip over your sheet and show me a few more?"
The little boy, without a hint of sarcasm or joking: "No, ma'am."
[My outer and inner teacher instincts at battle: don't laugh. laugh. let him go play because that was cute. have him practice because it'd help him.]
He practiced anyway.

Children's books are the most fun kind to read out loud.

I've learned that preschoolers are the most fearless group when it comes to hug. No time, location, or person is not suitable for hugging.

We sing fun songs that have silly motions to go with while waiting for their parents, and it's okay to make faces. The more faces, the more they laugh. The more they laugh, the more fun it is.

Spaceships. Moon rocks. Shooting stars. Space adventures to fix satellites. Astronaut-puppies. Imaginations know no bounds.

~"An understanding heart is everything in a teacher." [-Carl G. Jung]~

[Sidenote: I'll be at a conference for the next few days...we'll see how blogging goes while I'm there. No guarantees.]



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like such a delight, and I can tell just from this little bit that you're so so so good at what you do already, even in practice. :)