Sunday, January 22, 2012

Never Old Enough

Yesterday I heard that a guy who graduated with my brother and his friends died unexpectedly on Friday, and I'm stunned.

Did I ever talk to the guy? No. But my heart goes out to those who loved him and knew him well, or those who remember him from their classes in high school.

He was only 26. So, so young. Yes, it's all part of God's plan, but that doesn't make it easy.

It shakes me to think he's the same age as my brother and the friends of his that I love like brothers, too.

A few months ago my friends from Concordia were rocked with something similar, and I couldn't help but think it's too early in life for us to be dealing with this. Here I am feeling this way again, but I wonder...will we ever feel old enough to face this?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no...no amount of years can make this any easier.

It's always going to make us stop and think about how blessed we are to still be here, make us want to hug our loved ones a little sooner and a little longer, and tell people a little more often how much we care about them. It's always going to make us stop and think that it could've been our day instead. It's always going to shake things up.

Good thing God's in charge because it's comforting to know He's got a plan in place. It'd be a lot harder without being able to trust in His promises.

My prayers are with those who knew and loved this guy...I can't imagine the depth of the heartache from this.

And hey, if you're reading this...I love you, even if I don't get to tell you that enough.

2 comments: