What a heart-wrenching realization when you spend a long time doing what you think is right only to find out how wrong you've been. I've been grappling with this ever since I realized my problem, and I set out to make it better. Yes, I have a passion for teaching that goes to my core, but I also have a passion for taking care of the people in my life. But I know I'm not the only one that feels this struggle.
I've gotten to have some good heart-to-hearts with family and friends alike over the past few months that have helped put things into perspective. I'm so grateful for those conversations about the nitty gritty truths of our challenges, our hopes, and overcoming the feeling that somehow we're falling short. No matter what age you are, there are always things changing that you have to sort out. Some changes are easier than others, naturally, while others will shake you to your core.
I think we all got this idea in our heads as kids that we'd have it all figured out when we got to be an adult. Now many of us that dreamed together in high school and college about when life would be "easier" are finding out that adulthood isn't really about having it all together but striving to do the best we can. We've been spending our twenties transitioning from childhood to adulthood wondering when we'll feel like we've gotten the hang of things. I'm realizing that so many of us have been withholding those feelings of failure or of being caught up in an overwhelming call to balance work, hobbies, family, and friends, and so many of us haven't dared to admit that it's tough. So many of us have held in how we are just trying to make it through each day. We feel like we have to hold up this front that yes, we figured it out just like our Facebook friends who are having the time of their lives living each day.
I've sat down to write this post many times over, but I've given in many times to letting myself think that I'm the only one that struggles with figuring it out. I don't want to hide that battle anymore now that I know I'm not the only one feeling that way. We need to give our struggles words and voice our feelings so we can help each other through it. No, we may not always have the answers, but we trust that we'll get through. God promises us that He'll never leave our side, not that life is going to be easy. The hard part is trusting continuously, even when things are overwhelming, scary, or discouraging. So let's help each other through the messes like we did way back when. These messes are bigger than crushes, big research papers, fights over stupid comments somebody made behind our backs, or dealing with curfew/Intervis hours, but let's be real with each other.
And hey, no matter how much time has passed between conversations with friends, one of the best things is being able to pick up right where we left off again. Phone calls or emails or Facebook messages from old friends is such an underrated pleasant surprise. Loving someone through the tough stuff is what we're here to do. Please don't hold it in.
Here are a few awesome articles I've read this year that have helped me realize that our struggle is real and shouldn't be hidden away.
(Okay, so this Buzzfeed list just spelled out adulthood in a hilarious way. So many truths!)
No comments:
Post a Comment